Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wedding Week: Thursday

Thursday was another day I woke up and lay awake well before 7.  The to-do list was making me anxious, and I couldn't sleep without dreaming of another thing I had to do or failed to organize.

We had to be at our venue by 1, dropping off everything completely organized and ready to go, and I was anxious to have everything off my hands.

Mr. C and I woke up and got right back to it.  J was soon awake and filling out place cards alongside us.  Sister J and Baby J came over by 10, and there was a house full helping Mr. C and I to finalize the last of the details.  My goal had been to complete everything before Thursday, but the last minute scrambling couldn't be helped.

It took two cars to pack up and drive everything over (with a quick stop for eyebrow waxing!).

We unloaded the car and our coordinator, Deirdre was there to meet with us (but first we watched a woman untangle a cow from a fence).  Deirdre was impressed at our organization and instructions, even though we had left a few things behind.

We finalized numbers and seating charts; we perfected the timeline; and we said goodbye until Saturday.

When we were walking out the door, I lost it.  I don't know why, even though I'm a crier, I hadn't cried all week and I was just blubbering away with no trigger.

In actuality I think I was exhausted and entirely overwhelmed.  We had been non-stop on little sleep that week and it was catching up to me.

Mr. C and I drove home and stopped for ice cream.  It was amazing to have a few moments alone with him, to giggle, and not to talk about details or schedules.

When we returned, Mr. C's parents had arrived and we went to greet them.  They had their own car full of goodies and it took a few trips.  But that was a quick visit because our amazing bridal party had gifted us with exactly what we needed on that day: a couples' massage.

Mr. C and I enjoyed that massage and it really set the tone for the rest of the weekend: we were chill, relaxed, and ready to roll with the punches.

When we returned to my family's house, everyone was there to greet us: Sister J and her family, J, Mr. C's parents, and my family.  They had been amazing by filling the out of town bags and prepping for dinner (Dinosaur Bar-B-Q, as prepared by Mr. C's mother).  There was a lot of food, a lot of laughs, and a lot of love around the dinner table last night.  Everyone was excited and really looking forward to the rest of the weekend.

After one final round of tying up the out of town bags, we said our farewells to Mr. C's parents and Mr. C, and J and I snuck upstairs for some quiet girl time.  As soon as the lights went out, I was asleep.

There aren't many pictures of these moments leading up the wedding, but they are vivid in my mind.  To be with the people who were closest to me, to be organizing for the biggest day of my life, and the anticipation of marry Mr. C made for many memorable moments.  And the weekend hadn't even started!

I'm grateful for those moments with our immediate families and grateful for their help.  And above all, I highly suggest a massage prior to the wedding day; it was literally one of the best decisions we made leading up to the big day.

What are your most memorable moments prior to your big day?  Do you have plans to allow for relaxation and family time?


  1. It was all such a whirlwind and a mix of emotions for me. Good call with the massage! That would've been ideal.

  2. Some of my favorite memories are also from the days leading up to the actual moment. It's such a great excuse for families to be all together. And I had about two major breakdowns, so way to go with only one mild crying jag!