Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dad and Me

I went up to visit my family this past weekend, and having recently spoken to our band, music was on my mind.  So as I radio surfed (our new car doesn't have a CD player...killer!), one particular song struck my fancy.

When Dad Busy Bee and I had a moment alone, I excitedly told him the song I heard on the radio, and how perfect I thought it could be for our father/daughter dance.


Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely"

I tried to convince him how great this would be, we could even choreograph a few steps.  But the idea of choreography stuck in his mind, and being the jokester he is, Dad Busy Bee said he would settle for nothing less than:


Michael Jackson's "Thriller."  Then we could really impress the crowd with our dance moves.

So we didn't come to any serious conclusion, but the option of having an upbeat choreographed dance for my dad and I didn't fade from my mind quickly.

Maybe I should tell you more about Dad Busy Bee: He's awesome.

Personal Photo/Law School Graduation
with the Busy Bee Parents

He is one of the most practical, rational guys I know (probably even more than Mr. C) and he's great to talk to for life advice, career advice, financial advice, and all that boring practical rational stuff that comes up more often than not.  But Dad Busy Bee is also hilarious.  I clearly get my dry sense of humor from him.  We're often on the same page about a joke when the rest of the family may not be.  He's encouraging, motivating, and a really great Dad.  I'm looking forward to honoring our special relationship and the great woman he's helped me to become.  However, sentimentality is NOT Dad Busy Bee's forte.  Usually it makes him uncomfortable, and he may not be the best at expressing himself.

So rather than force him to have a sentimental and possibly sappy moment with me, I thought it would make Dad Busy Bee more comfortable to have some fun.  Hence the suggestion for choreography.  Plus, that would be pretty kick ass.  Although we never came to a conclusion in person, I followed up with an email, and sent Dad Busy Bee a list with some song options, including:


Stevie Wonder's "You Are The Sunshine of My Life"


Tim McGraw's "My Little Girl"


James Taylor and Carole King's "You've Got A Friend"


Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole's "Unforgettable"


What do you think we decided on?  Did you do something a little less traditional for parent dances?

All videos via YouTube

1 comment:

  1. Ever since I heard it, I wanted to dance to "My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw!!! :) But you have a great list of options here!

    ReplyDelete