Thursday, March 3, 2011

Birdcage Centerpieces

Back in 2009, I had an amazing opportunity to spend three weeks in Beijing.
Peace out, Mr. C.  Ni Hao Beijing!

While there, I was lucky enough to experience an entirely different culture.  Three weeks was certainly not enough time to be completely absorbed in such a different country and environment, but I loved some of what I saw.

One of my favorite memories was walking towards the University where our classes were held (yeah, I had to go to class while I was there, but it certainly wasn't difficult).  We walked through a semi-commercial area, but there were a lot of people just sort of...hanging around.  Talking with each other, playing board games, and laughing a lot at the confused Americans walking about, trying to figure out exactly what it was they were ordering.



No, this isn't by my university.  This is, in fact, the Great Wall of China.

Not only were these people hanging out and playing games, but they also were with their pets.  And in Beijing, people had their dogs on a leash, but they also carried their pet bird with them.  In its bird cage.  I thought this was awesome!  I mean, why shouldn't your bird get to see the outside world if your dog does?!

There were also bird cages used decoratively in some of the nicer restaurants we went to.  Unfortunately, I didn't seem to take any pictures of this.  I was too busy eating soup dumplings and duck...mmmmm...duck.  Even the vegetarian me salivates.

I remember sitting at dinner one night, looking at those bird cages and saying out loud, to no one in particular: "I'm going to have birdcages at my wedding."  And I will!

Little did I know, birdcages are something of a wedding-world trend.  Particularly birdcages used to collect cards at a gift table.  Even though birdcages are a popular way to collect cards, I haven't seen a ton of photos birdcages used as centerpieces.  But I was determined to do so anyway.  Maybe I would become future inspiration for another bride.

Then there was another set back...the price!  I would occasionally search for birdcages to get an idea of their prices...and they were expensive!  There was no way these could be our centerpieces at $19-25 a pop.  That just wasn't feasible.  So I gave up.  I looked for different centerpieces that I was inspired by, looking for other ideas that made my heart tingle and meant something to me.

Randomly over Christmas break, Mr. C and I were at the Christmas Tree Shop near my parents house.  We were looking for a coffee table (we got that!)...and guess what else we found...

You'll have to wait until next time to see what exactly it was!

Where did your centerpiece inspiration come from?

All personal photos.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love the Christmas Tree Shop! So many good finds! Can't wait to see your centerpieces.

    ReplyDelete