Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chompers

Let's talk about teeth for a little bit, shall we?

I assume (and hope) that I will be smiling like a maniac on my wedding day.  I imagine lots of goofy grins, toothy smiles, and wide open mouth laughter.  So this means our guests are going to be getting a good view of my pearly whites on the big day (other than any other pearls I may actually decide to wear).  To try and have the brightest and best smile possible on the big day, I've tried to get into a healthy teeth routine.  I'm hoping to not have this: 


Source.


Yellow!  Yucky!  No good (and obviously, I don't want a moustache either)...

I'm hoping for something more along the lines of this:

 
Source.

Now, obviously having good dental hygeine is important for everyday of the year, no matter what big event you may or may not have.  However, its taken me awhile (and a good number of cavities) to really learn this, and to get into better habits.  And still, my habits are not perfect.  But the wedding is as good excuse as any to start early and really engrain these habits into my every day life to continue from now until I have no pearly whites left!

First up, brushing every day.  Obvious.  When I'm home during the day, I try and step it up and brush after lunch as well.  I don't have a permanent desk as I'm at two part time jobs, but if I was, I would keep a brush in my desk for after lunch.  I've seen many people do this, and its a great way to cut back on stuff caught in your teeth and funky breath for post-lunch meetings and work.

Next, flossing.  This is one of my downfalls.  Flossing, well, it sucks.  Its time consuming, for the first few rounds my gums bleed, and I have annoying piece of retainer permanently stuck on the back of my front teeth that takes FOR-EVVV-ER to floss through (Sandlot, anyone?).

Finally, mouth wash.  Just a couple quick swigs at the end of the day makes me feel like I've done myself some good, even when I'm just too tired or lazy for the flossing at the end of the day.

I've also tried to change some of my eating and drinking habits in order to protect and support all the hard work I am (or should be) doing.  I've almost entirely cut coffee out of my daily routine.  I've found that caffiene can trigger some anxiety for me, and I get enough sleep that I shouldn't need the boost, so otherwise its mostly just empty calories.  If I need a small boost of caffiene or I'm looking for something warm and toasty to drink, I've become a tea-kind-of-gal.  Although tea can have some staining effects as well, so its definitely not every day!

Soda is another big thing that I've almost entirely cut out.  This has to do with teeth health as well as my own consciousness of trying to learn and really understand what I'm putting in my body.  I've always drank diet soda, so it wasn't so much a concern about the sugar, but now, it's thinking about the chemicals!  So soda is mostly gone.

Wine can be another cause of stained teeth.  I'm not a huge drinker, but when I do drink, it tends to be multiple glasses, rather than just one.  Both for your teeth, as well as for your head the next morning, it can be a good idea to alternate a glass of red wine with a glass of water.  This will help to prevent the red wine from having time to get all comfy up on your teeth.  And may slow down your consumption, and allow for a brigther morning1  :)

Smoking.  BLEGH.  This has NEVER been a problem for me.  Smoking is nasty, it kills, ruins your teeth, and is expensive.  Self-explanatory.  If you smoke, you are a dummy.



Can you think of anything else that could lead to yellowed or stained teeth?  I'm doing my best to stick true to these habits, so we'll see how good I can be!

Are there any other routines you've changed in preparation for the big day?  Or for any reason?  Or just because!

3 comments:

  1. I am SO BAD about taking care of my teeth. I drink so much coffee, I never floss, I hate brushing my teeth, and I haven't even been to the dentist in 3 years. I suppose twice a year dental cleanings would definitely help with the upkeep. You are being so good! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work! Have you decided to do any of the over-the-counter bleaching trays, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kristin: haha - I'm being SO good in theory. I just have to try and do my best to STICK to it! making the plan is easy. Sticking to it is harder!

    @Adrienne: I haven't really thought about it. I did them once in college for a week and they made my teeth UBER sensitive. I'm hoping the old fashion route will work for now, and if I need more, I will totally look into it!

    ReplyDelete