Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How We Got Engaged, Part I

Mr. C and I have been together for just under six years.  

Personal Photo/Mr. C and I had been together for about 6 months here

We've been friends for seven.  We've lived together for three and a half.  What this boils down to, is that we know a lot about each other.  We talk about everything.

Over a year ago, getting engaged and married was something we (ok, I) brought up and talked about a lot.  I was ready.  Our relationship was getting there, our friends were doing it, and I needed a 'next step.'  Now, it seems a little silly, but back then, tears often came along with these conversations.

And poor Mr. C had a plan up his sleeve the entire time.  Poor guy, I still feel a little guilty for putting him through all that!

We were headed down to Costa Rica for Spring Break.  Off we went with our friend J, Groomsman E, and Bridesmaid Y.  For the 6 months prior to our trip, anytime something special happened, I ruined it for myself by setting myself up for disappointment, waiting for a proposal to come.  Surprisingly, one never came while I was expecting it.  Finally, I had to tell myself that I had to stop wishing and hoping.  So I went to Costa Rica with no hopes, no expectations, and ready for a fantastic vacation.


Sunset our first night there. 

Heading to the beach! 

Ah!  What a view! 


Enjoying the beach! 

 Five of us, ready to zipline


It was our fifth day in Costa Rica.  We spent the day hiking through Manuel Antonio.  It was SO HOT out.  I think we saw later that day that it hit well over 100 degrees.  But hiking through that national park was worth it, even in that weather.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  We got to see beautiful rainforest, beaches and coastlines.  We spent much of the day hiking, but also swimming the ‘secret’ beaches we came upon.



So.  Hot.  So very, very hot.  I don't think I've ever been that sweaty before.

Our last photo together as boyfriend and girlfriend.  

By the end of the day, we were completely wiped out, sweaty, and exhausted.  We went over to the car, and I desperately needed to change my shoes.  They got soaked through the hiking, and were sandy.  Immediately, I managed to put my bare foot into a huge cluster of ants.  The ants started attacking me, biting the bottom and tops of my feet, and around my ankles.  All five of us piled into the car, and Y and E wanted to grab ice cream.  I, however (being completely whiny) NEEDED to get back to the room.  Mr. C dropped the other three off, and we sped straight up to the room.  I managed to rinse some of the ants off, and popped a Benadryl.


How were you proposed to?  Was it on vacation or somewhere "ordinary" that became special?

No comments:

Post a Comment