Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Our First Holiday

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. It's my favorite holiday of the year! I love sitting around the table with family and friends, I love prepping for the meal, laughing in the kitchen. I love the silly things my siblings and I do to avoid that prep, including random games of tag (usually turning into tackle) football in the front yard.

Two years ago, Mr. C and his parents came to my family's house for Thanksgiving and it was great getting to spend a holiday with him, FMIL, and FFIL. It was our first time spending a holiday together (of the Big Two: Thanksgiving and Christmas. We've spent many an Easter, 4th of July, and Groundhog Day together).

But this year, things are different. This year, we are engaged. Which means no more splitting up for holidays (at least that is what it means for us...everybody does it differently!)

Which leaves me feeling a little like this:



Not because I'm worried about becoming the Thanksgiving feast, as this turkey surely is, but because this will be my first Thanksgiving not spent with my family. Even the fall semester I spent abroad, both parents and sibs made it across the pond, and we shared a lovely Italian meal as our Thanksgiving feast.

I love Mr. C. I love his family. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to be sad to be away from my family. It means different traditions, different food, and no one to tackle in the front yard to avoid clean up.

I am looking forward to this new chapter in Mr. C and I's relationship, we are becoming our own family! We are going to make our own traditions!

But please, give a me a moment to mourn MY family and MY traditions. Because I think this is part of this whole getting-married journey. Losing the MY and loving the OUR.

This year, its OUR first holiday. And I will love it. I will just ache a bit for what was mine.

1 comment:

  1. At first, my reaction to this would be: it sucks. Period. And for my first three married years, it has. Last year, I may or may not have had a nervous breakdown, bought a plane ticket three days before Thanksgiving, and left Ben here while I went to Florida. BUT...slowly, new traditions are springing up. Maybe you'll take your laptop and skype the Thanksgiving table back home (I almost gave away your hometown!) or maybe you come up with a dish that you'll make at his place every year. I know it's hard, especially when your family is so great. I'll be thinking of you. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete