Monday, November 29, 2010

No Posts About WW?

I went for an interview last week, and after asking me the standard questions about my resume, the interviewer randomly asked me what my sign was.  I was taken aback, but quickly responded, "Scorpio."

She paused for a moment and said, "Interesting.  Are you stubborn?"

Boy.  I was not expecting a line of questioning like this.  I tried to think about any sort of interview prep and training that had ever been shoved into my brain, and attempted to make this one of those turn-a-negative-positive moments.  So I told her that stubborn sounded awfully negative, but I would be comfortable calling myself "strong-willed."

Next up:  "Are you a perfectionist?"

I know there are negatives to being a perfectionist.  I'm sure of it.  I'm sure there are positives.  But at that moment...nothing was coming up.  So I just agreed.

And finally:  "Are you sensitive?"

I almost laughed in her face.  Seriously, if I'm mocked one more time about how often I cry...I'll probably cry.  But yes, I am very, very, very sensitive.  But again, I tried to convey how this would benefit my work in this position.

So why am I telling you all this (other than it's a hilarious story about the battles of unemployment)?  To explain why I haven't been writing about my weight loss.

The truth is, I've totally fallen off the bandwagon.  I haven't weighed myself in awhile, but I've gained weight.  The question is...how much?  At this point, I'm scared to even see numbers because of how my pants fit, and how my shirts are squeezing too much, and of how I pant coming up my three flights of stairs to my apartment.  And why?  Because I started slipping off the bandwagon weeks ago...and once I slipped I gave up.  Because I am all of those things mentioned above: stubborn, perfectionist, and sensitive.  And when one pound creeps back on, it destroys me.  And now its not just one pound it's...an unidentified, terrifying number of truth.

But as of today, I'm getting back on that bandwagon.  I have had to give up my Weight Watchers membership for now, due to the cost, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to lose weight.  I know program pretty well right now that I think could do it without meetings or online.  And maybe I will try and fiddle with some good old calorie counting.

Who knows how it will happen?  I just know it must.

Do you find that you fit into your astrological sign?  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  But those characteristics seemed to be pretty spot on.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely cannot believe you were asked your astrological sign in a professional interview. That's CRAZY! Don't give up, beautiful girl. In December I'm making one small commitment to my health everyday so things don't seem so overwhelming. It's all doable. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Found you over on the weddingbee boards! I just started back up with WW this week too...doing it on my own, didn't sign up for it. I totally know how you feel and just posted a similar post today on my blog about wanting to lose weight. I live in queens and am getting married on Long Island in May! Looking forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete